The tears that suddenly began to pour out of my eyes lacked regulation, But still I kept screaming, I checked the whole house in and out but I found not Ayo. I abruptly picked up my phone and dialed his number, but he picked not, twas about four minutes later I discovered he left his phone behind… What am I gonna do? I cried out. Who would I run to? I screamed…
You see, even now that I tell you the story I can say with confidence that I have never felt as miserable as I felt that day in my entire life, and even as I write the story memories of that day blink my way some sort of fear-filled sadness, and if I could modify I would say even the word miserable lacks the qualification to fully bring to your beautiful imaginations the kind of terror and horrific feeling I had on that day the 30th of Dec 2007…And if you have ever lost someone dear to you, if you have ever felt like your world might have just crumbled in seconds, if you have ever felt like you might have lost someone whom you are not sure you gave your best to, if you have ever felt like you lost the chance to make right a wrong or to attempt fixing a broken home, a disjointed relationship, disconnected communication, a droused romance, a malnourished love then maybe, oh just maybe you may slightly catch a glimpse of how I felt that very day…
I sat on the floor, in front of the house and tears began to rush out of my eyes; who would I tell the story to? Who would believe me? Where would I start searching from?…perplexity caused me to forget that I could question bala, and when I realized, I screamed out his name with utmost desperation;
You see, even now that I tell you the story I can say with confidence that I have never felt as miserable as I felt that day in my entire life, and even as I write the story memories of that day blink my way some sort of fear-filled sadness, and if I could modify I would say even the word miserable lacks the qualification to fully bring to your beautiful imaginations the kind of terror and horrific feeling I had on that day the 30th of Dec 2007…And if you have ever lost someone dear to you, if you have ever felt like your world might have just crumbled in seconds, if you have ever felt like you might have lost someone whom you are not sure you gave your best to, if you have ever felt like you lost the chance to make right a wrong or to attempt fixing a broken home, a disjointed relationship, disconnected communication, a droused romance, a malnourished love then maybe, oh just maybe you may slightly catch a glimpse of how I felt that very day…
I sat on the floor, in front of the house and tears began to rush out of my eyes; who would I tell the story to? Who would believe me? Where would I start searching from?…perplexity caused me to forget that I could question bala, and when I realized, I screamed out his name with utmost desperation;
Me: bala! Bala!!!
Bala: madam I dey come o!
Me: where oga and dat small pickin go?
Bala: Madam, oga say him dey carry the boy go police station, say make I tell you when you come…
Me: you no well, craze dey worry you. Why you no tell me when I enter??
Bala: walahi madam I don forget…
Me: I no get your time now, when I come back me and you go talk. Which police station?
Bala: oga say na the headquarters the one wey dey Moscow road…
I got into the cab feeling slightly relieved that Ayo was okay, but still unable to concor whence he got the strength and instant hagility as to taking the strange boy to the police station. And as the cab driver drove, I began to reflect on how much drama and tension the little boy had brought to us, and the more I thought the more I was given the duty to wonder why…When I got to the police station, I saw Ayo sitted on a wooden bench with the little boy looking tattered and rough handled, and then I asked;
Me: Ayo, what’s going on? What’s happening?
Ayo: Kristen I don’t understand myself, I can’t explain…I brought this boy here the minute I felt slightly better, I thought I was saving us from the misery and dramatic problems we were facing and when I got here, the policemen started accusing me of something I don’t even understand…
Policeman 1: So ur claiming ignorance? It’s like you don’t know where you are, Or madam you want to tell me you don’t know this boy? And you can’t remember the last time you and this your yeye husband came denying that the innocent boy is not your son? Can you remember that I warned you never to come close to this police station again? Abby you sef don forget?
Policeman 2: she no fit talk say she don forget; if not, we would take you both to the psychiatric hospital, coz e be like say both of you done craze finish.
Kristen: Hmmmmm, Ayo! Please what are they talking about? Am confused. What kind of problem is this? What is happening to us?
Ayo: I wish I had the answers to all your questions dear,but I don’t. I have never felt this dumb, lost and stupid in my entire life…
I thought I was dreaming, but reality introduced itself to me when the police men asked the strange boy questions;
Policeman1: young boy, who is this woman?
The stranger: my mummy.
Policeman2: okay, and who is this man?
The stranger: My daddy.
Policeman1: so can you hear him?
Policeman 2: I still can’t figure out how both husband and wife would have mental illness ahhhnnn, even if your husband is sick enough not to remember his son, what bout you madam???
I and Ayo kept staring at them, we knew not how or where to start up our defense. But what was most shocking and overwhelming was the fact that the strange boy spoke English…you see, We had no evidence, and presented in front of us were incomprehensible allegations. So we just sat there looking speechless and wondering if we were dreaming or being mistaken…suddenly, the superintendent came out and then he said;
Superintendent: officers, your still on this case? Please lock them up for two hours and give them minor torture, am sure they would recognise their son after that…As they took us in, Ayo said;
Ayo: my name is Ayo Philips and this is my wife Kristen Phillips, honestly I think your mistaking us for some other people!!
Superintendent: take them in fast!!
I searched for words but I found them not, I just proceeded to the cell like one hypnotized, and yet again I looked at the strange boy and yet again he smiled at me. I would ask you this question as I drop my pen for now, Do you think or slightly believe that my experience at the police station was what brought me misery and terror on the 30th of December 2007? Hmmmm…
Alluringpiece
0 comments :
Post a Comment